With more big data solutions moving to the cloud, how will that impact network performance and security?
On the performance side, cloud adoption is generally going to enhance performance and make network management easier, provided that the outsourcing systems businesses use are compatible with their existing processes, and user-friendly enough not to topple their internal business models. By putting some network resources outside of their in-house design, administrators can give themselves a more precise focus, allowing them to produce leaner and meaner business network operations.
The security side is where cloud may not have as much of a positive impact. Generally, as long as vendors implement correct and adequate security practices, there's not a lot of downside to cloud adoption, at least not in terms of security. The problem is where a vendor may not have adequate security, where the cloud model can produce its own kinds of vulnerabilities. This is most evident in public cloud multitenant systems, where internal data from one client company is kept directly next to data sets from another client company. There is an inherent problem here that needs to be solved – vendors have to assure clients that their specific data sets will be kept separate and treated with all of the right security and scrutiny, not only to prevent hacking and general unauthorized use, but to make sure that none of that data is somehow shared with competitors. Some companies worried about security with public multitenant cloud are choosing other options like hybrid or private cloud systems. The consensus is that where vendors can make these outsourced services secure, they can be of net benefit for clients.
More Q&As from our experts
- What are the current and future AWS adoption trends to pay attention to?
- Can there ever be too much data in big data?
- What key business continuity solutions can my business take now?
- Big Data
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud Services
- Network Management
- Public Cloud
- Private Cloud
- Hybrid Cloud
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know
- How to Protect Microsoft 365 from NOBELIUM Hackers
- 5 Steps to Streamline Security for your Hybrid Network