What role will the internet of things play in the big data ecosystem?
The internet of things (IoT) will bring a physical hardware component to the big data ecosystem. With big data, large pools of data sets are manipulated and analyzed for specific purposes. In many ways, the internet of things will be a rich source of big data in the field: Individual small devices and appliances will generate this data and send it to central processing areas.
The internet of things will also affect big data in other ways. Some experts are now sounding the alarm bells that an internet of things connectivity model will require a lot more networking administration as all of these little pieces try to access a network and communicate with central servers. There will likely be questions about authenticity and authentication, about how to screen web traffic coming in, and how to filter out all kinds of hacking and malware as well as irrelevant or indigestible data.
One positive role that the internet of things could play is to enable big data to go beyond the internal realm of the business office and reach out into the community. Obviously, this has its own benefits and disadvantages, raising other questions about the balance between privacy and security. Regardless, this could be a bonanza for businesses, and a new way to gather information for all sorts of purposes, including scientific studies, the delivery of health care services, and more.
More Q&As from our experts
- Can there ever be too much data in big data?
- How are top enterprises effectively applying IoT to their BI strategies?
- How can businesses solve the challenges they face today in big data management?
- Internet of Things
- Big Data
- Network Administration
- Malicious Software (Malware)
- Two-Tier Architecture
- Alan Turing
- Backward Chaining
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know
- How to Protect Microsoft 365 from NOBELIUM Hackers
- 5 Steps to Streamline Security for your Hybrid Network