What are some important aspects of file integrity monitoring?
With file integrity monitoring, IT professionals compare different versions of files against a baseline using tools like a "checksum" or hash "image" of a file, to spot important or significant changes. There are different aspects and processes involved in file integrity monitoring that make this valuable for enterprises and other parties.
One aspect of using file integrity monitoring is related to situations where file changes affect security. Individual IT professionals may look at different file changes or events in the context of an overall security system, for instance, evaluating the correlation between access or user events on a network, and file changes. This can be a general part of security monitoring, log monitoring and other kinds of network management processes.
Another very important aspect of file integrity monitoring is compliance with industry standards. In fact, experts note that many businesses only employ file integrity monitoring in order to stay compliant with standards in their industries. Examples of these standards include the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) governing medical information, as well as Sarbanes-Oxley and PCI-DSS payment compliance regulations in the financial world. Many file integrity monitoring tools have defined compliance dashboards that help show business leaders more about compliance a glance.
A third aspect of file integrity monitoring involves directly looking for tampering to a file. Regular scanning with checksums or other methods can turn up instances of malicious or unauthorized changes to the file.
More Q&As from our experts
- What is the difference between little endian and big endian?
- How can unstructured data benefit your business's bottom line?
- What are some of the dangers of using machine learning impulsively without a business plan?
- File Integrity Monitoring
- File Integrity
- Versioning File System
- File Management System
- Data Modeling
- Information Assurance
- Web Content Management
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- The CIO Guide to Information Security
- Robotic Process Automation: What You Need to Know
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know