What is the appeal of NoSQL databases and what pushes companies to move toward implementing them?
There are many reasons why companies might want to make a move to a NoSQL database and away from traditional relational database systems. Companies might embrace NoSQL because the technology is more scalable, or for easier data retrieval. NoSQL systems may also be able to better handle the enormous volumes of data in a big data analytics project. NoSQL is also often able to better accommodate real-time data input and output.
|Webinar: Moving Relational Databases Beyond the Traditional|
In addition, NoSQL can be useful with data types that are not conventional or formatted in traditional ways. For example, a NoSQL database setup can be superior to a traditional relational database for dealing with a high volumes of non-transactional data transfers. Approaches like key value store setups, which are inherent in some NoSQL tools, can make it easier to direct data operations when database contents don't fit into a neatly tabulated traditional table of data.
NoSQL may have all of these benefits over relational databases, but some experts also caution about the need to assess adoption on a case-by-case basis. Cost can be a mitigating factor, and immediate consistency for database contents has been cited as an additional concern.
More Q&As from our experts
- What are the biggest uses of SQL today?
- How can unstructured data benefit your business's bottom line?
- What are some of the dangers of using machine learning impulsively without a business plan?
- Relational Database
- Apache Hadoop
- Big Data
- Real-Time Optimization
- ACCDB File Format
- Memory Address
- Alan Turing
- Unified Storage
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know
- How to Protect Microsoft 365 from NOBELIUM Hackers
- 5 Steps to Streamline Security for your Hybrid Network