Storage over Internet Protocol (SoIP)
Definition - What does Storage over Internet Protocol (SoIP) mean?
Storage over Internet Protocol (SoIP) is a technology framework that uses Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) networks to link servers and storage devices and facilitate storage solution deployment.
By combining the best storage and networking industry approaches, SoIP provides high-performance and scalable IP storage solutions.
Techopedia explains Storage over Internet Protocol (SoIP)
Storage area networks (SAN) are critical to network infrastructure, especially because of rapid IP and Ethernet growth. SoIP and storage networks, which are highly compatible, facilitate local storage routing over separate networks that are built with the same IP technology.
A variety of products are used for SoIP implementation, including Fiber Channel over IP (FCIP), Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) and Ethernet-based networks. SoIP products facilitate the transparent use of established IP storage applications.
- Simple configuration and management
- Easy SoIP product integration with established storage network technologies
- Rapid solution deployment
- Improved access to business-critical applications
- Product compatibility with most OSs and applications - without modification
- Elimination of costly dedicated hardware requirements in favor of existing and cost-effective hardware
- Effective implementation, which significantly reduces storage management costs
- IP Storage (IPS)
- Storage Networking
- Internet Protocol (IP)
- IP Network
- Small Computer System Interface (SCSI)
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Storage Management Software
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Digital Transmission Content Protection Over Internet Protocol (DTCP-IP)
- Fiber Channel Over Ethernet (FCoE)
Why Traditional Database Technology Fails to Scale
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: