What Does Storage Resource Management (SRM) Mean?
Storage resource management (SRM) is the process of efficiently maximizing a storage area network (SAN). SRM identifies unused or underutilized storage and outdated data for transfer to less expensive media alternatives and streamlines the prediction of future storage requirements.
Data storage media and management costs are on the rise, due to data's steady rate of annual growth (50-100 percent). As a result, organizations are now seeking automated and more effective SRM solutions.
Techopedia Explains Storage Resource Management (SRM)
SRM also facilitates the management of network expansion, configuration, events, policies, quotas and storage media. This enhances efficiency, as manual configuration tasks are time-consuming for network administrators (NA).
SRM functions include:
- Data backup
- Storage virtualization, which allows multiple physical storage units to be accessed as a logical storage unit
- Network performance analysis
- Network monitoring
- Billback - a cost recovery accounting service
- Storage provisioning, which provides configurations and preparations necessary for storage efficiency and optimization
- Activity log updates and maintenance
- User authentication
- Anti-virus protection
SRM solution providers include Symantec, APTARE, DataCore Software and Northern Parklife. Solutions include stand-alone products or SRM integration as part of larger program suites.