Microsoft Exchange Server (MXS)
Definition - What does Microsoft Exchange Server (MXS) mean?
Microsoft Exchange Server (MXS) is a collaborative enterprise server application designed by Microsoft to run on Windows Servers. MXS supports:
- Contacts and tasks
- Web-based and mobile information access
- Data storage
Techopedia explains Microsoft Exchange Server (MXS)
In the 1990s, email evolved into a business-critical application, leading to the development of user-friendly enterprise solutions with improved features and connectivity. The most current version, Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, allows a user to deliver email, contacts and calendar to a PC, mobile device or browser.
MXS features include:
- Outlook Web App: Helps users access voicemail, email, SMS texts, instant messaging (IM) and more via standard browsers
- Exchange ActiveSync: Allows mobile users to access a universal inbox with voicemail, email, IM and smartphone messages
- Retention, Discovery and Email Archiving: Help reduce expenditures and simplify the maintenance of business communication processes
- Backup and Disaster Recovery: Features a unified solution for disaster recovery and backup by offering an automatic, quick, database-level recovery from server, database and network failures.
- Deployment Flexibility: Can be deployed in the cloud, on premise or both
- Sensitive Content Monitoring: Can be used to track sensitive email content and prevent illegal content distribution
- Voicemail: Provides users with single inbox access to email and voicemail, both of which can be managed from a single platform
- Advanced Protection: Employs several integrated encryption and anti-spam technologies and sophisticated anti-virus solutions.
- Always-On: Facilitates quicker failover times and multiple volume support, as well as a monitoring system that enables automated failure recovery
- Exchange Administration Center: Allows administrators to delegate server permissions and access based on job function without granting total access to the management interface
Astounding Sci-Fi Ideas That Came True (and Some That Didn't)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: