What Does HTTP Proxy Mean?
An HTTP Proxy serves two intermediary roles as an HTTP Client and an HTTP Server for security, management, and caching functionality. The HTTP Proxy routes HTTP Client requests from a Web browser to the Internet, while supporting the caching of Internet data.
Techopedia Explains HTTP Proxy
Proxy server advantages include:
- Maintaining identity anonymity as a security precaution.
- Accelerating caching rates.
- Facilitating access to prohibited sites.
- Enforcing access policies on certain websites.
- Allowing a site to make external server requests.
- Avoiding security controls.
- Bypassing Internet filtering for access to prohibited content.