Windows SharePoint Services (WSS)
Definition - What does Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) mean?
Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) is a portal-based platform or Web application framework developed by Microsoft and launched in 2001 in order to integrate content and document management with networking and intranet. WSS is composed of multiple Web technologies that are backed by a common infrastructure, allowing organizations to create "sites or portals" that foster process efficiency and collaboration.
Techopedia explains Windows SharePoint Services (WSS)
Windows SharePoint Services is a platform and tool being used by large organizations in order to become more effective through the connection of people and information. WSS provides the infrastructure for building and creating websites or portals for sharing information with other users and fostering collaboration. WSS provides the facilities for capturing and sharing information, ideas and documentation, as well as provides an easy means for communication.
A WSS site may have multiple subsites, which can act as data containers similar to how folders store and segregate files. This takes file storage to a different level, by providing communities for team collaboration.
Windows SharePoint Services has the following basic features:
- Document libraries — For storing and managing documents
- Lists — Data arranged in a spreadsheet format
- Web pages — The primary portal for interacting with SharePoint services and features; it includes basic website navigation and design components.
- Sites and workspaces — Groupings of libraries, lists and Web part pages. They provide features and functions to users.
- Site management tools — Different tools for various purposes such as page editing tools, subsite management tools, etc.
- Central administration tools — Tools for configuring servers and the entire SharePoint system
Top 6 Trends in Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: