Definition - What does Logistics Management mean?
Logistics management is a supply chain management component that is used to meet customer demands through the planning, control and implementation of the effective movement and storage of related information, goods and services from origin to destination. Logistics management helps companies reduce expenses and enhance customer service.
The logistics management process begins with raw material accumulation to the final stage of delivering goods to the destination.
By adhering to customer needs and industry standards, logistics management facilitates process strategy, planning and implementation.
Techopedia explains Logistics Management
Logistics management involves numerous elements, including:
- Selecting appropriate vendors with the ability to provide transportation facilities
- Choosing the most effective routes for transportation
- Discovering the most competent delivery method
- Using software and IT resources to proficiently handle related processes
In logistics management, unwise decisions create multiple issues. For example, deliveries that fail or are delayed lead to buyer dissatisfaction. Damage of goods due to careless transportation is another potential issue. Poor logistics planning gradually increases expenses, and issues may arise from the implementation of ineffective logistics software. Most of these problems occur due to improper decisions related to outsourcing, such as selecting the wrong vendor or carrying out delivery tasks without sufficient resources.
To resolve these issues, organizations should implement best logistic management practices. Companies should focus on collaboration rather than competition. Good collaboration among transportation providers, buyers and vendors helps reduce expenses. An efficient and safe transportation provider is also vital to business success.
- Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- Supply Chain Execution (SCE)
- Transportation Management System (TMS)
- Business Planning and Control System (BPCS)
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Enterprise Decision Management (EDM)
- Management Information Base (MIB)
- Inventory Software
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Enterprise Portal Software (EPS)
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: