Relational Online Analytical Processing (ROLAP)
Techopedia explains Relational Online Analytical Processing (ROLAP)ROLAP can handle large volumes of data. Although its use of a relational database means that it requires more processing time, it can be accessed by any SQL tool, and it does not have to be a tool specifically for OLAPs. Compared to multidimensional online analytical processing (MOLAP), ROLAP tools are much better at controlling non-aggregated facts such as textual descriptions.
In terms of disadvantages, the performance of a ROLAP depends on the data size; it can be slow when the data being processed is large and fast if otherwise. Athough any SQL tool can access ROLAP, it is limited by these tools because SQL statements do not meet all users' needs, especially when performing complex calculations.
Survey: Why Is There Still a Gender Gap in Tech?
Do you work in the tech industry? Help us learn more about why the gender gap still exists in tech by taking this quick survey! Survey respondents will also be entered to win a $100 Amazon Gift Card!
- Hot Technologies of 2012: Analytic Platforms
- The Analytical Engine: A Look Back at Babbage's Timeless Designs
- Data Analytics: Experts to Follow on Twitter
- Living on the Edge: The 5 Key Benefits of Edge Analytics
- How to Future-Proof Your Job Through Career Change
- Online Learning: 5 Helpful Big Data Courses