User Principal Name (UPN)
Techopedia Explains User Principal Name (UPN)User Principal Name is used to authenticate users on the Windows OS. It can replace other aspects of usernames within a Windows profile. It can also be used to abbreviate some long domain name lists.
The UPN is also used to obtain the account of a user in the Active Directory, which can be queried using the Active Directory Service Interface. This is a type of library that provides an interface to different kinds of directories, such as the user account database used by Windows.
- Domain Name Registrars: An Essential Cog in the Website Industry
- INFOGRAPHIC: Sneaky Apps That Are Stealing Your Personal Information
- On Dead Domains and Lapsing Links: Why the Web Is So Fragile
- 10 Big Data Do's and Don'ts
- Social Engineering Attacks: 3 Strategies to Mitigate Risk
- The 5 Risks of Sharing your Password