Mobile Virtual Private Network (mVPN)
Definition - What does Mobile Virtual Private Network (mVPN) mean?
A mobile virtual private network (mobile VPN or mVPN) provides connectivity to mobile devices that access software applications and network resources on home networks through other wired or wireless networks. The networks these devices connect from can be either secure or insecure. Mobile VPNs are widely used in situations where workers are required to keep sessions open at all times.
Techopedia explains Mobile Virtual Private Network (mVPN)
Mobile VPNs have the following features:
- Application Compatibility: Software applications that run on a wired LAN environment also run over mVPN without the need for any modification.
- Roaming: The connection remains intact as changing networks handle logins automatically.
- Persistence: Applications left open are active and available even when the wireless connection is interrupted.
- Security: Authentication of users and devices is enforced along with data encryption of data traffic as per security standards such as FIPS 140-2.
- Authentication: Two-factor or multifactor authentications are enforced using combinations of password, public key certificate and biometrics.
- Acceleration: Data compression and link optimization improves performance over wireless networks. mVPNs are used in home care, hospital settings, public safety, utilities and field service management.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Virtual Private Network Appliance (VPN appliance)
- Mobile Virtual Network Enabler (MVNE)
- Hardware Virtual Private Network (Hardware VPN)
- Mobile Virtual Private Network (mVPN)
- Open-Source Virtual Private Network (OpenVPN)
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Remote Office/Branch Office Backup and Recovery
- Content Vectoring Protocol (CVP)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: