ALERT

[FREE DEMO] Deploy Your Enterprise Cloud in Minutes

One-armed Router

Definition - What does One-armed Router mean?

An one-armed router takes care of the data traffic distribution between virtual local area networks (VLANs). Like a normal router, it transports and distributes data to their proper destination. However, the one-armed router only moves traffic within the same physical network since VLANs and the routers within them are primarily used for security purposes.

Techopedia explains One-armed Router

One-armed routers connect virtual systems that are intended to encourage or discourage the connectivity between a standard LAN and multiple devices.

Even though the usual VLAN consists of multiple networks that perform in the same physical space, they are still considered as separate network,s which means they need a way to communicate with each other. One-armed routers have a single network interface controller which is recognized by every virtual network that connects to it, so the information from the different VLANs can get to its destination from any connected network, VLAN or node.

They operate using the 80/20 rule which means that 80% of the network traffic will stay in the VLAN and not need further assistance from the one-armed router. The other 20% of the network traffic consists of communication between multiple VANs which goes through the one-armed router.

One-armed routers take care of the intensive traffic between VLANs, so they must free up the primary data path in the network to facilitate inter-VLAN traffic. A major disadvantage of the one-armed router structure is that it can be the cause of a bottleneck if there is too much traffic between VLANs, which also can develop into a single point of network failure.

Techopedia Deals

Connect with us

Techopedia on Linkedin
Techopedia on Linkedin
Tweat cdn.techopedia.com
"Techopedia" on Twitter


'@Techopedia'
Sign up for Techopedia's Free Newsletter!

Email Newsletter

Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter

Resources
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Learn the benefits and limitations of the 3 generations of IT infrastructure – siloed, converged and hyperconverged – and discover how the 4th...
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Businesses today aspire to achieve a software-defined datacenter (SDDC) to enhance business agility and reduce operational complexity. However, the...
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
This white paper is for leaders of Operations, Engineering, or Infrastructure teams who are creating or executing an IT roadmap.
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Virtual Health Monitor is a free virtualization monitoring and reporting tool for VMware, Hyper-V, RHEV, and XenServer environments.
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic:
Turbonomic delivers an autonomic platform where virtual and cloud environments self-manage in real-time to assure application performance.