Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
Definition - What does Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP) mean?
Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP) is an advanced distance vector routing protocol based on the principles of the Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP).
EIGRP is a successor to the Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP). Both are owned by Cisco and operate only on their devices. Cisco introduced EIGRP because it needed a protocol with faster converging abilities, route selection and calculation and the ability to record information from neighboring devices.
Techopedia explains Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
EIGRP has the following characteristics:
- Advanced operational efficiency
- Capabilities of both link state and distance vector
- A classless routing protocol
- Unique features including use of Reliable Transport Protocol (RTP), a diffusing update algorithm (DUAL), updates and updated information about neighbors
- Faster converging because it precalculates routes and does not broadcast hold-down timer packets before converging
EIGRP uses bandwidth, delay, load and reliability to calculate the metric for its routing table (not hop count used by legacy protocols). For this reason, EIGRP always selects and calculates the most optimal route for efficiency. EIGRP uses a DUAL algorithm to avoid loops and send occasional hello packets to check the status of neighbor routers.
- Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- Internet Protocol (IP)
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- Diffusing Update Algorithm (DUAL)
- Key Chain
- Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP)
New Advances in Biometrics: A More Secure Password
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: