Don't miss an insight. Subscribe to Techopedia for free.


Computer-Aided Design And Drafting

What Does Computer-Aided Design And Drafting Mean?

Computer aided design and drafting (CADD) is a subfield of engineering which deals with the design and drafting of objects and materials through the use of specialized software that visualizes designs as modular 3D computer models.


Computer aided design (CAD) software is used for creating the 3D models complete with detailed documentation such as dimensions, materials used and even details the design process.

Techopedia Explains Computer-Aided Design And Drafting

CADD encompasses all of the fields and industries where CAD is being used to design and create products such as that from the aeronautical industry, architectural industry, civil industry, electronic industry and just about any industry or field which requires detailed design of hardware and structures.

Drafters are tasked to prepare technical drawings, models and plans which are used by construction and production workers to build everything from manufactured consumer goods, industrial machinery, space and aircraft, to structures such as houses, office buildings or gas and oil pipelines.

CADD is also the common name given to academic courses and certification programs which prepare students and professionals to use CAD systems and software for design in various fields.


Related Terms