ALERT

[FREE DEMO] Deploy Your Enterprise Cloud in Minutes

Ninety-Ninety Rule

Definition - What does Ninety-Ninety Rule mean?

The “ninety-ninety” rule states that the first 90 percent of code construction uses up 90 percent of development time, and that the remaining 10 percent of code construction accounts for another 90 percent. With a total adding up to 180 percent, this IT saying is clearly satirical.

It has sometimes been called the “rule of credibility” and often attributed to Tom Cargill of Bell Labs, or John Bentley’s articles in “Communications of the ACM.”

Techopedia explains Ninety-Ninety Rule

The idea behind the “ninety-ninety” rule is that in the first 90 percent of a project, code construction takes place in a steady and linear way. The last 10 percent of construction is often where more challenges might present themselves, for instance, in debugging, fixing tougher sets of features, or putting the finishing touches on a project. There is the idea that the home stretch is where projects become really difficult, and start to suffer from time bloat. Another way to put this is that projects tend to be “resistant to ultimate signoff” when they are nearing completion.

Techopedia Deals

Connect with us

Techopedia on Linkedin
Techopedia on Linkedin
Tweat cdn.techopedia.com
"Techopedia" on Twitter


'@Techopedia'
Sign up for Techopedia's Free Newsletter!

Email Newsletter

Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter

Resources
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Learn the benefits and limitations of the 3 generations of IT infrastructure – siloed, converged and hyperconverged – and discover how the 4th...
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Businesses today aspire to achieve a software-defined datacenter (SDDC) to enhance business agility and reduce operational complexity. However, the...
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
This white paper is for leaders of Operations, Engineering, or Infrastructure teams who are creating or executing an IT roadmap.
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Virtual Health Monitor is a free virtualization monitoring and reporting tool for VMware, Hyper-V, RHEV, and XenServer environments.
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic:
Turbonomic delivers an autonomic platform where virtual and cloud environments self-manage in real-time to assure application performance.