Online Analytical Processing Cube (OLAP Cube)
Definition - What does Online Analytical Processing Cube (OLAP Cube) mean?
An online analytical processing cube (OLAP cube) is a multidimensional array of data that serves as a database optimized for OLAP applications and data warehousing. It is a way of storing relevant data in a multidimensional form to make it appear more logical when used to generate reports and facilitate more efficient analytics.
Techopedia explains Online Analytical Processing Cube (OLAP Cube)
Microsoft's multidimensional expressions (MDX) language is used to interact with and command OLAP cubes.
Unlike traditional databases, which are designed according to system requirements, OLAP cubes are developed with business logic for business intelligence (BI) and, thus, are optimized for analytical processes with the ability to report on multiple records simultaneously.
Advantages to OLAP cubes include the following:
- May have more than three dimensions - virtually infinite - resulting in a hypercube, which allows in-depth data analysis
- Enables multifaceted data analysis of complex and large volumes of data in response to complex business queries
- Online Analytical Processing (OLAP)
- Relational Database (RDB)
- Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
- Business Analytics (BA)
- Business Intelligence (BI)
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Data Mining
- Business Intelligence Software (BI Software)
- Online Analytical Processing Cube (OLAP Cube)
- Database (DB)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: