Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)
Definition - What does Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) mean?
The embedded iLO management card has its own network connection and IP address to which server administrators can connect via Domain Name System (DNS)/Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) or through a separate dedicated management network. iLO provides a remote Web-based console, which can be used to administer the server remotely. The iLO port is an Ethernet port, which can be enabled through the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU).
Techopedia explains Integrated Lights-Out (iLO)
iLO comes preconfigured with proLiant servers of the 300 series and above. A default iLO user account and password is included. iLO can be configured through several ways including:
- Browser-based configuration.
- iLO RBSU accessed using the F8 key during power-on self-test (POST).
- Remote scripted configuration.
- Local on-line and local scripted setup.
The iLO management tool allows a user to perform the following actions on the server remotely:
- Power on and power off the server.
- Restart the server.
- Monitor the server, regardless of the state of the server’s operating system.
- Measure power usage.
- Apply patches, firmware updates, and critical virus updates through virtual media and virtual folders.
- Access system event logs and the HP Integrated Management Log.
HP 100 series servers include the Lights-Out 100 Remote Management Option with limited features. HP iLO has now been replaced by Integrated Lights-Out Advanced (known as iLO2 and iLO3). The latest releases of HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO2) and Lights-Out 3 (iLO3) have simplified the server setup process and enabled remote power and thermal optimization. As of Aug 2011, the current firmware versions of iLO 2 and iLO 3 are 2.07 and 1.26, respectively.
11 Terms Every Virtualization Engineer Should Know
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: