Best of Breed System
Definition - What does Best of Breed System mean?
A best of breed system is the best system in its referenced niche or category. Although it performs specialized functions better than an integrated system, this type of system is limited by its specialty area.
To fulfill varying requirements, organizations often use best of breed systems from separate vendors. However, maintaining multiple systems provides little cross connectivity, which creates maintenance and integration challenges.
Techopedia explains Best of Breed System
Best of breed system advantages are as follows:
- Updates and building blocks may be rolled out without affecting other systems.
- Because the function of a system is geared to a specific purpose, it is easier to update and able to quickly respond to market changes.
- Specialized functions include more options and solutions and provide specific knowledge regarding specific functions.
- Vendors of best of breed systems are often small organizations that do not understand the requirements of larger organizations.
- Integration with other systems is a highly complex process.
- Sharing data across different systems may be difficult.