What Does Broken Link Mean?
A broken link is a hyperlinks a website which is linked to an empty or non-existent external webpages.
When a broken link is clicked, an error message is displayed. As broken links potentially led bad impressions and unprofessional images in the mind of website viewers, they have to be tackled immediately by website developers and designers.
A broken link is also known as a broken hyperlink or a dead link.
Techopedia Explains Broken Link
Disadvantages of broken links:
- Affects and lowers the search engine ranking.
- Website traffic could be reduced.
- Lowered reputation.
How to resolve broken links:
- Websites are available which search and report broken links in the site.
- Use of redirection mechanisms, which would redirect to new location of information in case of broken links.
- Avoid deep links in website unless and until required.
Dead Link, Broken Hyperlink