Techopedia Explains GooglewhackThe emergence of terms like Googlewhacking reflects the disproportionate impact that Google has on Web users worldwide, despite the existence of other search engines. Despite attempts by other parties like Microsoft to alter these habits (in Microsoft’s case, through its own Bing search engine) Google has remained the default search engine for many millions of users. This in turn has led to dominant market positioning for Google leadership and an outsized reputation for its founders.
The term Googlewhack also falls into a larger category of tech slang that has risen up around technologies that were nonexistent or obscure just a short time ago. Journalists and others may analyze, or even coin, these terms as they investigate how technology and society influence each other.
- The Caffeinated Panda: Understanding Google Search Updates
- Google+ Ripples a Fun, Free Toy for Analytics Geeks
- Reboot: How to Adapt to a New Tech Environment
- INFOGRAPHIC: Top 12 Dead Google Projects
- The Truth About Cybersecurity
- Biometrics: New Advances Worth Paying Attention To