Internet Protocol Switching (IP Switching)
Definition - What does Internet Protocol Switching (IP Switching) mean?
Internetp Protocol switching, far more commonly referrred to as IP Switching, is a routing technique which routes data packets faster than traditional routing by using Layer 3 Switches.
IP Switching is performed by implementing Layer 3 switches which employ Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) hardware and transferring via Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) Switches. This speeds up the whole routing process. IP Switching establishes a virtual circuit in ATM switches whenever it needs to route packets that are high priority or packets that are destined for an external network.
Techopedia explains Internet Protocol Switching (IP Switching)
IP Switching is also known as multi layer switching because it performs Layer 3 based routing as well as Layer 2 switching.
IP Switching is a methodology for routing data packets over the network that does the following:
- Routes data packets as typical routers do and employs switching mechanisms for the rapid transfer of data.
- Examines the data packet/frame using the IP Switching mechanism and than forwards it using Layer 2 switching techniques.
- Uses Ipsilon Flow Management Protocol (IFMP) for flow management.
- Employs the rapid data scanning and retrieving abilities of an ATM switch.
All of these result in efficient and faster routing technique.
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
- Voice Over Wireless Local Area Network (VoWLAN)
- Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN)
- Open Systems Interconnection Model (OSI Model)
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
- Internet Protocol (IP)
- Internet Protocol Address (IP Address)
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: