Definition - What does Voice XML mean?
Voice XML is an Extensible Markup Language (XML) standard for storing and processing digitized voice, input recognition and defining human and machine voice interaction. Voice XML uses voice as an input to a machine for desired processing, thereby facilitating voice application development. A voice-based application is managed by a voice browser.
Techopedia explains Voice XML
Voice XML is developed as a standard markup language for delivering and processing voice dialogs. Voice XML applications include automated driving assistance, voice access to email, voice directory access and other services. Voice XML pages are transported online via the HTTP protocol.
There are two basic Voice XML file types:
- Static: Hard coded by the application developer
- Dynamic: Generated by the server in response to client requests.
Voice XML architecture is based on the following components:
- Document server: Like a server that accepts client requests and generates appropriate response post processing
- Voice XML interpreter subsystem: Processes request response output generated by the document server.
- Implementation platform: Generates actions in response to user input
- Voice XML goals: Integrates voice-based services with Web applications for efficiency
Voice XML facilitates the following:
- Reduces client/server interactions by specifying multiple interactions per document
- Shields developers from low level implementation platform details
- Focuses on clear separation of business logic and interaction code
- Functions and delivers the same results, regardless of underlying implementation platform
- Creates and processes simple dialogs. Complex dialogs may be constructed and maintained with the help of Voice XML language tools.
Techopedia Deals: The Complete Android Developer Course - Build 14 Apps
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: