Definition - What does Softcooling mean?
Softcooling is the practice of cooling computer components by using CPU power saving technology.This is accomplished by reducing the power consumption through the usage of software. Principally cooled components include the CPU, graphics card and motherboard when the system is idle or under light use.
Techopedia explains Softcooling
Reduced power consumption is accomplished in three ways:
- Undervolting: This sets the voltage to the CPU below that specified by the manufacturer.
- Underclocking: This sets the CPU processing speed slower than specified by the manufacturer.
- Control of Halt Instructions: This turns off components or puts them in standby mode when not needed.
The benefits of Softcooling include:
- Increased battery life for laptop computers
- Decreased power consumption in corporate settings
- Increased life for personal computers, network servers and network client workstations
- Decreased ambient temperatures for computers and connected devices