Variable Length Subnet Mask (VLSM)
Definition - What does Variable Length Subnet Mask (VLSM) mean?
A VLSM is also known as a classless Internet Protocol (IP) address.
Techopedia explains Variable Length Subnet Mask (VLSM)
- Simple network configuration
- Network IP addressing through empty subnet filling
- Greater efficiency than fixed-length subnet masks (FLSM)
- Streamlined routing, where a router functions only with a VLSM sequence, versus a full IP address
- Intermediate System to Intermediate System Protocol (IS-IS)
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
- Cisco's Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)