Data Robot (Drobo)
Definition - What does Data Robot (Drobo) mean?
Data Robot (Drobo) is a total digital storage solution comprised of direct attached storage (DAS), network attached storage (NAS) and storage area network (SAN) devices.
Drobo increases storage capacity without downtime by automatically distributing hard drive data between two or more device sources. Drobo also facilitates hard drive installation and removal without manual data migration.
Drobo is manufactured by Data Robotics, Inc.
Techopedia explains Data Robot (Drobo)
The following are Drobo features:
- Data access control provides total hard drive data protection.
- New or added storage devices are automatically recognized and efficiently configured.
- Hard drive matching speed, capacity and manufacturer are not required.
- Provides support for various file systems, including Hierarchical File System (HFS) Plus (HFS+), New Technology File System (NTFS), File Allocation Table 32 (FAT32) and extended file system (ext3).
- File system redundancy is managed through virtualization and a proprietary data layer format.
- A second FireWire port enables multiple linking to one computer system with individually mounted Drobos.
The DroboShare NAS add-on uses open-source software for enhanced functionality.