Structured System Analysis and Design Method (SSADM)
Definition - What does Structured System Analysis and Design Method (SSADM) mean?
Structured System Analysis and Design Method (SSADM) is a standard for system analysis and application design. It was developed in early 1980s in the U.K. by Learmonth Burchett Management Systems and the Central Computer Telecommunications Agency as a standard for British database projects. It deals with information system design.
SSADM is an implementation that builds on the work of different schools of structured analysis and development methods,
Techopedia explains Structured System Analysis and Design Method (SSADM)
SSADM is a waterfall method that uses a combination of methods:
- Logical Data Modeling: Identifies and documents the data requirements of the system that has to be designed. All of the data is classified into entities and relationships.
- Entity Behavior Modeling: Identifies and documents events associated with entities and the sequence of their occurrence.
- Data Flow Modeling: This model deals with identifying and documenting data movement in an information system. This examines data store, data flow and external entities.
SSADM application development projects are divided into different modules:
- Feasibility Study: Determines whether a given project is feasible.
- Current Environment Investigation: SSADM developers become familiar with a system's data requirements. This is because the new system is likely to be based on the same underlying data.
- Business System Options: The overall design of the new system is determined.
- Requirement Specification: The full logical specification of what the new system must do is determined.
- Technical System Options: Options for implementation of the new system are developed and the possible choices are narrowed down.
- Logical Design: Specifies the user interface such as menu and command structures.
- Physical Design: Specifications are converted to real hardware and software.
Dismissing the Myth that Active Directory Requires Microsoft DNS
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
Free Whitepaper: The Path to Hybrid Cloud:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: