Synchronize and Stabilize
Definition - What does Synchronize and Stabilize mean?
Techopedia explains Synchronize and Stabilize
The approach was developed by David Yoffie of Harvard University and Michael Cusumano of Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The synchronize and stabilize life cycle model defines an approach helping to balance flexibility and structure in software product development. This method involves continuous synchronization of the activity of people as individuals working on a project and as members of parallel teams. The method also involves periodic stabilization of the software product in increments as the project moves forward, not just at the end of the project. This kind of approach evolved at Microsoft while working on large scale projects.
This model has several advantages over the classic waterfall model, which follows a sequential method. It has proven to be a more flexible model when compared to other life cycle development models. The distinguishing feature of the synchronize and stabilize model is allowing changes and modifications at any point in the software development process.
The synchronize and stabilize approach provides a framework with several advantages:
- It breaks down large projects into small segments, which teams with related skills can handle and complete efficiently.
- It allows the project to move forward in a systematic way.
- It allows large teams to work concurrently as small teams by dividing the work into small pieces.
- It facilitates parallel teams who continuously synchronize the changes and stabilize the product at regular intervals
- It makes a product team very responsive to events taking place in the market. It allows constant maintenance of the product in ready to ship state.
- It provides a mechanism to incorporate customer inputs to product features and helps in prioritizing the tasks.
The synchronize and stabilize methodology suits well in today’s fast-paced markets, which develop complex system products within short life cycles. It provides an excellent mechanism to coordinate the work by building a large team into small interdependent teams working individually.
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
Free Whitepaper: The Path to Hybrid Cloud:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: