Definition - What does FastIP mean?
FastIP is a proprietary 3COM switching Internet Protocol (IP) that reduces routing device loads on virtual local area networks (VLAN).
FastIP is based on the Internet Engineering Task Force's (IETF) Next Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP) standardized by the Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE) as IEEE 802.1Q VLAN.
Techopedia explains FastIP
FastIP functions optimally with FastIP-enabled switches and requires a network routing device.
FastIP features include:
- Hop by hop packet routing for overhead prevention
- Policy management--similar to quality of service (QoS)
- VLAN switch database sharing
- Inter-VLAN routing via secure end stations and switch shortcuts
Below is a FastIP operations summary:
- User initiates IP switching via source and destination media access control (MAC) addresses to create a Layer Two connection.
- Each end station determines local or remote station packet transfer.
- Data transfer begins.
- The first end station transfers a special NHRP packet to the next end station. NHRP packets use switch units for source and destination router passing and include source MAC address points and VLAN membership data also recorded by destination stations, which use switch units (vs. routers) for NHRP source packet transfer.
- The source receives the NHRP packet and records the destination MAC address and VLAN membership data.
- The source transfers destination data packets via switch units and specifies VLAN destination packet transfer. The target destination MAC address is included with each packet.
Follow these steps for basic FastIP implementation:
- Open the Web interface sidebar.
- Click the Configuration icon.
- Click on Advanced Stack Setup Hot Link, which displays the Advanced Stack setup page.
- Select Enabled in the FastIP list box.
- Click Apply.
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: