Online Comparison Shopping
Definition - What does Online Comparison Shopping mean?
Online comparison shopping is a consumer pricing activity employed to locate the best product deals. Online shoppers rely on search engines for online comparison shopping.
As with online shopping, online comparison shopping provides the convenience of shopping from home, versus brick-and-mortar retailers.
Techopedia explains Online Comparison Shopping
Rather than going from store to store, potential buyers use online comparison shopping to price single or multiple items. Online comparison shopping is easier than driving to stores or calling individual retailers, is more efficient and also yields savings, such as gas money.
Examples of websites that offer online comparison shopping are Nextag, ComparisonEngines, Best Web Buys and CNET Shopper.
Besides featuring the best pricing, online comparison shopping websites often provide clearance or seasonal sale items and deals of the day.
When conducting online price comparisons, consumers should keep the following in mind:
- Thoroughly read all terms and conditions, return policies and details about hidden or additional charges.
- Only provide personal financial information to encrypted websites, which are marked with HTTPS in the browser's URL field, versus HTTP, which indicates that a site is not encrypted.
- Use common sense when conducting online comparisons. For example, pay attention to certain types of product offers that sound too good to be true.
- Always remain apprised of current frauds and scams to prevent undesirable shopping incidents.
- Before purchasing any product, confirm the authenticity of the item and retailer via thorough online research, including reviews and feedback.
Malicious Software: Worms, Trojans and Bots, Oh My!
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: