Definition - What does Amazon SimpleDB mean?
Amazon SimpleDB is a distributed database service developed by Amazon.com in the Erlang programming language. Released on December 13, 2007, Amazon SimpleDB is an Amazon Web Services (AWS) component that works in conjunction with Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) and Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
Amazon SimpleDB facilitates cloud storage, processing and query processing. The service is easy to use and provides most core traditional database features, including real-time processing and simplified structured data queries.
Techopedia explains Amazon SimpleDB
Amazon SimpleDB features include:
- Flexibility: Allows for the easy addition of new attributes without predefined data formats
- Efficiency: Provides quick and easy data storage and retrieval
- Scalability: Facilitates new domain creation to accommodate increases in data volume
- Easy integration: Designed for easy integration with other Amazon Web services, such as Amazon EC2 and Amazon S3
- Cost effective: Users only pay for actual consumed resources. Amazon usage types include structured data storage, data storage and machine utilization.
The following are Amazon SimpleDB benefits:
- Operational complexity is eliminated.
- No schema is required.
- A simple application programming interface (API) is used for access and storage.
- Data is automatically indexed.
- Administrative burden is reduced.
Amazon SimpleDB has several drawbacks, including weaker forms of consistency and storage limitations.
Experts Share the Top Cloud Computing Trends to Watch for in 2017
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: