Definition - What does Cloud Testing mean?
Cloud testing is a subset of software testing in which simulated, real-world Web traffic is used to test cloud-based Web applications. Cloud testing also verifies and validates specific cloud functions, including redundancy and performance scalability.
A number of small to medium-sized IT organizations have migrated to cloud solutions. As a result, cloud testing has become necessary to validate functional system and business requirements. In addition to cloud experience, cloud testing engineers require the knowledge of different types of testing and tools.
Techopedia explains Cloud Testing
Cloud computing poses some challenges, such as manageability, reliability and security. Generally, organizations document a test strategy prior to actual cloud testing.
Key cloud testing elements include:
- Identifying relevant testing types
- Understanding cloud characteristics and conducting a risk/challenge analysis
- Setting up a cloud testing environment
- Simulating real-world challenges by selecting the right testing strategy
Cloud models such as software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) are key cloud testing strategy components.
Cloud testing strategy components include:
- Performance and Load Testing (longevity testing): Ensure that a cloud solution meets business requirements specific to cloud computing
- Stress Testing and Recovery Testing: Ensure data recovery after a hardware crash
- Security Testing: Ensures that a cloud solution meets data security requirements
- System Integration Testing (SIT): Covers functional aspects
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT): Ensures that the cloud solution meets the documented needs of the business.
- Interoperability and Compatibility Testing: Ensures cloud service and vendor migration
In addition to identifying relevant testing types, cloud testing teams focus on the following aspects:
- Security risks
- Multiple Web browser support
- User interface issues
- User data accessibility
Top 6 Trends in Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: