WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT)
Definition - What does WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) mean?
The WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) is a special agreement enacted by a consensus of over 100 member states of the European Union (EU). Adopted in Geneva, Switzerland on December 20, 1996, WCT supplements the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) and the International Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations (Rome Convention). At that time, the Berne and Rome Convention had not been modified for 25 years.
WCT was created to address changes in digital technology and communications, particularly the distribution of digitally protected works over the Internet. Known as the "Internet treaties," WCT was enacted along with the WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT) to respond to new marketplace and technology developments.
Techopedia explains WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT)
WCT provides several key updates, including:
- Protects computer programs as literary works per Article 2 of the Berne Convention.
- Protects data compilations created as intellectual property in any form. This protection does not extend to actual data.
- Stipulates that licensees must provide adequate legal remedies against anyone who knowingly enables or facilitates any type of copyright infringement related to unauthorized electronic rights management, distribution, broadcasting or communication.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Intellectual Property (IP)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
- Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI)
- DMCA 1201
- WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT)
- Copyright Infringement
- WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT)
- Digital Rights Management (DRM)
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: