Java Database Connectivity Interface (JDBC Interface)
Definition - What does Java Database Connectivity Interface (JDBC Interface) mean?
Java database connectivity interface (JDBC) is a software component that allows Java applications to interact with databases. To enhance the connection, JDBC requires drivers for each database. These drivers connect to the database and implement the protocol to transfer query and respective results between the client and database.
Techopedia explains Java Database Connectivity Interface (JDBC Interface)
Java database connectivity (JDBC) defines interfaces and classes and, by making database connections, makes it possible to write database applications in Java. JDBC aids in executing SQL statements and supports basic SQL functionality. Because Java runs on thin clients, applets that are embedded in Web pages enclose downloadable JDBC codes that allow for remote database access. JDBC technology drivers are divided into four categories:
- JDBC type 1 driver, also called JDBC-ODBC bridge is a database driver implementation that uses ODBC driver to connect to a database.
- JDBC type 2 driver, also called the Native API driver, is a database driver implementation that uses client-side libraries of databases.
- JDBC type 3 drivers, also called the pure Java driver for database middleware, is a database driver implementation that makes use of the middle tier between the calling program and the database.
- JDBC type 4 driver, also called a direct-to-database pure Java driver, is a database driver implementation that convert JDBC calls into vendor-specific database protocol.
- Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
- Java Database Connectivity Connector (JDBC Connector)
- Java Database Connectivity Architecture (JDBC Architecture)
- Application Programming Interface (API)
- Database (DB)
- Java HyperText Markup Language (JHTML)
- Java Database Connectivity Interface (JDBC Interface)
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Open Database Connectivity (ODBC)
New Advances in Biometrics: A More Secure Password
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: