Definition - What does Code Efficiency mean?
Code efficiency is a broad term used to depict the reliability, speed and programming methodology used in developing codes for an application. Code efficiency is directly linked with algorithmic efficiency and the speed of runtime execution for software. It is the key element in ensuring high performance. The goal of code efficiency is to reduce resource consumption and completion time as much as possible with minimum risk to the business or operating environment. The software product quality can be accessed and evaluated with the help of the efficiency of the code used.
Techopedia explains Code Efficiency
Code efficiency plays a significant role in applications in a high-execution-speed environment where performance and scalability are paramount.
One of the recommended best practices in coding is to ensure good code efficiency. Well-developed programming codes should be able to handle complex algorithms.
Recommendations for code efficiency include:
- To remove unnecessary code or code that goes to redundant processing
- To make use of optimal memory and nonvolatile storage
- To ensure the best speed or run time for completing the algorithm
- To make use of reusable components wherever possible
- To make use of error and exception handling at all layers of software, such as the user interface, logic and data flow
- To create programming code that ensures data integrity and consistency
- To develop programming code that's compliant with the design logic and flow
- To make use of coding practices applicable to the related software
- To optimize the use of data access and data management practices
- To use the best keywords, data types and variables, and other available programming concepts to implement the related algorithm
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: