PROTECT IP Act of 2011 (PIPA)
Definition - What does PROTECT IP Act of 2011 (PIPA) mean?
The full name of the bill is the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011. The PROTECT IP Act of 2011 is also known as S. 968.
Techopedia explains PROTECT IP Act of 2011 (PIPA)
PIPA has garnered widespread support. Supporting interests include:
- Online and print publishing
- Entertainment industry
- Cable and satellite TV
- Electronics and computer software companies
- Consumer groups and small business associations
- Police and firefighter unions
- Credit agencies, finance companies and legal services
- Online computing service providers
- Human rights organizations
- Museums, libraries and art galleries
- Schools and universities