Location Dependent Services
Definition - What does Location Dependent Services mean?
Location dependent services are those services that have been developed as a result of mobile computing and wireless networks. They allow the user to connect and use services that are available in their vicinity.
These services include those which are used to identify the location information and provide necessary information about that specific location.
Techopedia explains Location Dependent Services
Location based services are dependent on:
- Time Independency: Irrespective of the time, whenever the user invokes the service the results should be available.
- Location dependent information: Irrespective of the location the user should be able to obtain the information when needed.
Location based services require client devices, application data regarding the application, network connectivity and the actual content to deliver the service on the user's phone. Some types of location based services include:
- Follow-on services: An example is forwarding calls to the current user location by assigning a temporary phone number to the user's actual phone. This allows the user to redirect incoming calls to the user location.
- Location aware services: An example is printing a document from an office laptop in a hotel. The printing service would locate the nearest printer in the hotel and print it there instead of in the office. This all depends on the location of the user. The user's laptop is located in the hotel; if it was located in the office, the document would print in the office.
- Privacy: The service classes mentioned above raise the question about privacy. This service allows the user to either screen themselves or the service depending on their requirements. It allows them to utilize either the follow on service or the location based service at any one time.
- Information Services: The information service allows the user to pull down information about the location and the service.
- Support Services: This could be any service that the user utilizes as a result of its location.
- Location Based Services (LBS)
- Mobile Location Protocol (MLP)
- Service Location Protocol (SLP)
- Electronic Commerce (E-Commerce)
- Electronic Business (E-Business)
- Distributed Computing System
- Mobile Computing Promotion Consortium (MCPC)
- Automatic Location Identification (ALI)
- Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM)
- Mobile Computing Device (MCD)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: