Cascading Style Sheets Level 2 (CSS2)
Definition - What does Cascading Style Sheets Level 2 (CSS2) mean?
Cascading Style Sheets Level 2 (CSS2) is the second version of cascading style sheets developed by W3C. It's a declarative language used to enhance the hyperextensive text markup language. CSS2 is a subset of Cascading Style Sheets Level 1 and has enhanced capabilities like:
- Media types concept
- Aural style sheets
- Features for internationalization
- Extended font selection
- Automatic numbering and generated content
- Dynamic outlines
- Capability to control content overflow, clipping
- Absolute, fixed and relative positioning
- Extended selector mechanism
Techopedia explains Cascading Style Sheets Level 2 (CSS2)
Compared to CSS1, which was short and concise, CSS2 was voluminous. CSS2 has the following main features:
- Aural Style Sheets: New style properties for defining the aural style sheet for documents.
- Paging:Definition of how pages need to be displayed or printed. This made cropping, registering marks and other layout features possible.
- Media Types: Different style rules for different types of media was introduced in CSS2.
- International Accessibility Features: More list styles were available for international documents. This included bidirectional text support as well as language sensitive quotation marks.
- Font: More fonts were defined and available for use.
- Positioning: CSS2 introduced the relative, absolute positioning and the placement determination within a document. This really helped the continuous media.
- Cursors: CSS2 defined the manner in which the cursor would respond to various actions.
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Learn the benefits and limitations of the 3 generations of IT infrastructure – siloed, converged and hyperconverged – and discover how the 4th...
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Businesses today aspire to achieve a software-defined datacenter (SDDC) to enhance business agility and reduce operational complexity. However, the...
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
This white paper is for leaders of Operations, Engineering, or Infrastructure teams who are creating or executing an IT roadmap.
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Virtual Health Monitor is a free virtualization monitoring and reporting tool for VMware, Hyper-V, RHEV, and XenServer environments.
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic:
Turbonomic delivers an autonomic platform where virtual and cloud environments self-manage in real-time to assure application performance.