Internet Exchange Point (IXP)
Definition - What does Internet Exchange Point (IXP) mean?
Internet exchange points were created to minimize the part of an Internet service provider’s (ISP) network traffic that had to go through an upstream provider. IXPs provide a common place for ISPs to exchange their Internet traffic between autonomous network systems. The exchange points are often established in the same city to avoid latency.
Techopedia explains Internet Exchange Point (IXP)
The advantages of Internet exchange points include:
- Allowing high speed data transfer
- Reducing latency
- Providing fault tolerance
- Improving routing efficiency
- Improving bandwidth
The physical infrastructure includes one or more high-speed network Ethernet switches. The traffic exchange in an IXP is enabled by the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). The traffic exchange is managed through a mutual peering agreement conformed to by all ISPs. The ISPs normally specify the routes through the peering relationship. They may choose to route the traffic through their own addresses or addresses of other providers in the network. In some scenarios, the IXP serves as a backup link to allow traffic to pass through in case of a direct link failure.
The operational costs of an IXP are often shared among all the participating ISPs. For sophisticated exchange points, ISPs are charged a monthly or annual fee based on the port type and traffic volume.
- Network Access Point (NAP)
- Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- Network Operations Center (NOC)
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
- Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET)
- Internet Protocol Switching (IP Switching)
- Global Internet Exchange (GIX)
- National Science Foundation Network (NSFNet)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: