Techopedia Explains MegauploadMegaupload was founded by Kim Schmitz (Kim Dotcom) and ran online services like one-click file, video and image hosting, along with other similar services, earning the company an estimated $175 million in criminal proceeds. Megaupload.com accumulated more than 1 billion page views since it was launched in 2005. It had 180 million registered members and a total storage of 25 petabytes. It was once the 13th most visited website on the whole Internet and accounted for 1 percent of the total traffic in North America for fixed access networks.
When the company was shut down in January of 2012, Hong Kong’s Customs and Excise department froze assets worth HK$330 million.
- SOPA and the Internet: Copyright Freedom or Uncivil War?
- AI in the Enterprise: 3 Key Application Areas
- 5 Ways AI is Changing Art
- AI's Got Some Explaining to Do
- Comply and Protect: The Data Security Rulebook
- Experts Share 5 AI Predictions for 2023