Definition - What does Free mean?
Free is an ABAP programming keyword used to reset the values associated with an object. This keyword is capable of deleting the following:
- An internal table used in ABAP programs
- A data cluster in ABAP memory
- ABAP memory
- An external object used in object linking and embedding
Techopedia explains Free
The syntax for using the keyword FREE is as follows:
Features of the Free keyword include the following:
- FREE may be directly used to initialize an internal table, like keywords REFRESH and CLEAR. However, FREE also releases all memory space associated with the internal table, including the initial memory requirement.
- After the free <object> statement, the data object may be addressed, with the exception of external objects used in object linking and embedding. However, this can involve reallocating data object resources.
- In an external object is used in object linking and embedding, FREE does not allow further object processing.
- If the addition of variant "Memory ID" is not used, FREE can delete all of the contents in ABAP memory. With the usage of memory ID, only the contents associated with unique ID are deleted from ABAP memory.
"Techopedia" on Twitter
Sign up for Techopedia's Free Newsletter!
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
Free Whitepaper: The Path to Hybrid Cloud:
The Path to Hybrid Cloud: Intelligent Bursting To Amazon Web Services & Microsoft Azure
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
This white paper is for leaders of Operations, Engineering, or Infrastructure teams who are creating or executing an IT roadmap.
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Virtual Health Monitor is a free virtualization monitoring and reporting tool for VMware, Hyper-V, RHEV, and XenServer environments.
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic:
Turbonomic delivers an autonomic platform where virtual and cloud environments self-manage in real-time to assure application performance.