National Protection and Programs Directorate (NPPD)
Definition - What does National Protection and Programs Directorate (NPPD) mean?
The National Protection and Programs Directorate (NPPD) is a component of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that exists to advance the department’s mission of reducing federal security risk across the country, including cyber threats and risk to communications systems. The reduction of overall risk is part of integrated action and collaboration between departments and agencies and encompasses both physical and virtual threats, as well as the human elements involved.
Techopedia explains National Protection and Programs Directorate (NPPD)
There are four divisions under the NPPD:
- US-VISIT: This is the system used by the DHS for keeping track of all visitors to the country and checking all of their identity through various biometric technologies.
- Federal Protective Service (FPS): Protects all federally owned and leased assets.
- Office of Cybersecurity and Communications (CS&C): Assures the reliability, resiliency and security of the nation’s cyber and communications infrastructure.
- Office of Infrastructure and Protection (IP): Its mission is to lead a national coordinated effort to reduce the risks associated with critical infrastructure like power and water utilities in terms of preparedness for attacks and disasters, as well as to strengthen the department's ability to respond to such emergencies.
- Office of Infrastructure Protection (OIP)
- U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology (US-VISIT) NPPD
- Federal Protective Service (FPS) NPPD
- Office of Cybersecurity and Communications (CS&C)
- Identity Management (ID Management)
- IT Risk Management
- Incident Management Activities
- Email Encryption
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: