SQL Injection Test
Definition - What does SQL Injection Test mean?
An SQL injection test is the process of testing a website for SQL injection vulnerabilities. SQL injection is the attempt to issue SQL commands to a database via a website interface. This is to gain stored database information, including usernames and passwords. This code injection technique exploits a security vulnerability in an application's database layer.
Users can perform manual SQL injection tests or implement automated SQL injection scanning to check for vulnerabilities.
Techopedia explains SQL Injection Test
The following three-part process is essential when securing websites as well as web applications from SQL injection:
- Evaluate the present condition of existing security by conducting a comprehensive audit of the website and the web applications for SQL injection.
- Ensure that the best coding practices are followed.
- Perform regular web security audits whenever a change or addition is done to the website or web components.
Two methods to check for SQL injection vulnerabilities are:
- Automated SQL injection scanning: The ideal way to test SQL injection vulnerability is by implementing an automated web vulnerability scanner. These scanners offer simple, automated methods to evaluate the web applications or websites for possible SQL injection vulnerabilities. The automated scanner points out which URLs/scripts are prone to SQL injection so that the web admin can instantly fix the code.
IBM's AppScan, Cenzic's Hailstorm and HP's WebInspect are some examples.
- Manual SQL injection tests: Manual testing involves running some standard tests to examine the websites or web applications for SQL injection vulnerabilities using a web browser. Manual vulnerability testing is challenging and extremely time consuming. Additionally, it calls for a high level of expertise to monitor significant volumes of code as well as the latest techniques implemented by hackers.
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: