What Does Data Center Management Software Mean?
Data center management software is purpose-built software that provides insights into data center operations, performance and data center management task automation. It provides a centralized platform for accessing and managing data center infrastructure and services across a data center.
Data center management software is also known as data center infrastructure management software (DCIM software).
Techopedia Explains Data Center Management Software
Data center management software provides a method of viewing and managing data center infrastructure.
Key data center management software services include:
- Device information: Allows administrators to view brief or detailed information of each device (like a server, router or switch) in a data center
- Data center rooms and racks layout: Graphical overview of the current layout/map of the rooms and racks
- Cabling: How cable patches are organized in between different components, rooms and racks
- Power management: Enables viewing and control if the power and cooling in the data center
- Automating processes: Automates most or all administrative processes, such as scheduling and initiating device/data backups