Storage Area Network Management (SAN Management)
Definition - What does Storage Area Network Management (SAN Management) mean?
Storage area network (SAN) management refers to the collective measures, processes, tools and technologies that enable the operation, administration and maintenance of a SAN infrastructure.
It is a broad term that utilizes a layered approach that starts from the lower hardware level to the top software level in managing and maintaining a SAN infrastructure.
Techopedia explains Storage Area Network Management (SAN Management)
SAN management is generally performed through a central location, usually in the form of a SAN management application or a SAN server. This enables a central interface to allocate, manage and monitor storage. SAN management also includes monitoring the utilization of SAN resources, resolving issues, ensuring security and optimizing operations for best performance.
SAN management may also include:
- Planning for future expansion
- Capacity management
- Support for virtualization/cloud use
- Infrastructure management
- Creating and managing RAID levels
- LUN mapping
- Usage monitoring
- Backup management
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Storage Area Network Server (SAN Server)
- Storage Area Network Monitoring Tool (SAN Monitoring Tool)
- Storage Management Software
- Storage Area Network Architecture (SAN Architecture)
- Personal Area Network (PAN)
- Fiber Channel Storage Area Network (FC SAN)
- Fiber Channel (FC)
Why Traditional Database Technology Fails to Scale
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: