Storage Area Network Security (SAN Security)
Definition - What does Storage Area Network Security (SAN Security) mean?
Storage area network (SAN) security refers to the collective measures, processes, tools and technologies that enable the securing of a SAN infrastructure.
It is a broad process that ensures that the SAN infrastructure operates securely and is protected from any vulnerabilities.
Techopedia explains Storage Area Network Security (SAN Security)
SAN security generally requires first analyzing the underlying SAN infrastructure for possible loopholes and/or vulnerabilities.
Some of the techniques used for securing a SAN infrastructure include:
- Encrypting data at rest when stored on a SAN infrastructure or storage drives
- Isolating users/departments/organizations using a virtual SAN
- Securing network and communication interfaces
- Implementing an access control list (ACL) and digital certificates within the switch to ensure only authenticated switches join a SAN fabric
- Removing and resolving single points of failure
- Mitigating network-based vulnerabilities such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), which is vulnerable to Denial of Service (DoS) attack
SAN security may also involve creating and implementing a SAN backup and recovery plan to ensure it stays operational even after an attack or threatening incident.
- Storage Area Network Monitoring Tool (SAN Monitoring Tool)
- Storage Area Network Management (SAN Management)
- Storage Area Network Architecture (SAN Architecture)
- Storage Security
- Security Architecture
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Storage Area Network File System (SAN File System)
- Virtual Storage Area Network (VSAN)
- Storage Area Network Server (SAN Server)
- Storage Management Software
New Advances in Biometrics: A More Secure Password
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: