Storage Area Network Architecture (SAN Architecture)
Definition - What does Storage Area Network Architecture (SAN Architecture) mean?
Storage area network (SAN) architecture refers to the logical layout of a SAN infrastructure.
This architecture defines:
- How the SAN is logically created
- Components used
- Data storage and retrieval frameworks
- Device/host interconnectivity
- Other parameters/components essential for a SAN
Techopedia explains Storage Area Network Architecture (SAN Architecture)
There are two types of SAN architecture, storage-centric SAN architecture and network-centric SAN architecture.
A SAN generally consists of three core components; therefore, SAN architecture is composed of:
- Hosts: These are the system/end devices that use the SAN services. This can include servers and computers on the network.
- Fabric: This consists of the interfaces such as fiber channel and host bus adapter that enable connectivity between the hosts and SAN infrastructure.
- Storage: This is the physical storage drives.
Typically, SAN architecture defines:
- Pool of storage used and how it is shared in between different servers or computers connected via the network
- Type of network or data transmission connection used between the key SAN infrastructure and all connecting nodes
- Placement of data depending upon the type of SAN architecture or topology
- Type of SAN topology being used
SAN architecture also includes SAN management applications and the overall data storage, consumption and retrieval policy that governs the SAN's resources.
- Storage Area Network Management (SAN Management)
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Network Architecture
- Data Architecture
- Serial Storage Architecture (SSA)
- Storage Area Network Server (SAN Server)
- Storage Area Network Monitoring Tool (SAN Monitoring Tool)
- Storage Management Software
- Storage Area Network Architecture (SAN Architecture)
- Personal Area Network (PAN)
Why Traditional Database Technology Fails to Scale
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: