Definition - What does Apache Solr mean?
It is designed for rapid searching of data stored in HDFS in Apache Hadoop. Solr provides indexing, replication and load-balanced querying, a centralized configuration scheme, automated failover and recovery and is highly scalable, reliable and highly fault tolerant.
Many of the Internet’s largest sites use Apache Solr for their search and navigation features.
Techopedia explains Apache Solr
It also has REST-like JSON and XML/HTTP APIs which make it easy to use in any programming language.
The external configuration of Solr makes it easy to be tailored to any type of application without Java coding and it even has extensive plugin architecture when the application requires advanced customization.
- Advanced full-text search capabilities
- Extensive plugin architecture
- Near real-time indexing
- High volume web traffic optimized
- Comprehensive administration interfaces for HTML
- Uses standard interfaces such as XML, HTTP and JSON
- Server statistics exposed JMX to enable monitoring
- Linearly scalable, auto failover and recovery, and auto index replication
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: