Data Management Association (DAMA)
Techopedia explains Data Management Association (DAMA)
The Data Management Association was founded in 1980 with its first chapter in Los Angeles, California. Its primary purpose is to promote the understanding and development of the practices of data and information management as key enterprise assets, and, since 1989, DAMA has hosted annual conferences in this field with the first being in Gaithersburg, Maryland. It currently has 40 chapters worldwide in 16 countries, with the biggest presence being in the United States.
DAMA publishes a guidebook called "The DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge" (DAMA-DMBOK), which has been available since April 5, 2009. The association also recognizes data professionals who have made significant and demonstrable contributions to the industry in line with DAMA International’s vision, which is "to be an essential resource to those who engage in information and data management" through the DAMA Individual Achievement Awards.
Other awards include:
- Academic Achievement Award - for a member of the academe for outstanding research or theoretical contributions to the field
- DAMA Community Award - for the community member who has gone above and beyond volunteerism in providing exceptional benefits to the DAMA membership
- Government Achievement Award - for a member of the government and leadership populace for instituting the adherence to or inclusion of DRM and IRM principles
- Professional Achievement Award - for a member of the industry who has made significant and demonstrable contributions to the field
- Lifetime Achievement and Contribution Award - special awards that have so far only been presented to two people: John Zachman in 2002 and Michael Brackett in 2006
Survey: Why Is There Still a Gender Gap in Tech?
Do you work in the tech industry? Help us learn more about why the gender gap still exists in tech by taking this quick survey! Survey respondents will also be entered to win a $100 Amazon Gift Card!
- Big Data and the Analytical Platform
- What the $#@! Is Data Discovery?
- Data Breach Notification: The Legal and Regulatory Environment
- Artificial Intelligence in Cybersecurity
- The Differences Between the Top 3 Cryptocurrencies
- Hacking Cryptocurrencies